- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- ¾ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup very strong black coffee
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 18 regular-sized muffin cups, or line with paper or foil baking cups.
2. Mix flours, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
3. In a large bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil, coffee, eggs and vanilla until blended.
4. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture just until blended.
5. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Remove muffins to wire rack to cool.
Makes 18 muffins
Visit Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins' recipe page at http://www.rockymountainlodge.com/recipes.htm for more recipes.